Posted May 14, 2015 by RentJungleDo you donate a lot of possessions to thrift stores? Some of those unwanted household items are treasures in disguise! All they need is a little touch up and they can be as good as new. Many people are scared away from thrift stores saying that the things found there are either useless or too ugly. With these tips, you can easily repurpose and revamp the things found there into your new favorite piece in your home!
1. Old books, when hollowed out, are great for hiding eyesores like your wireless router.
2. Plates and candlestick holders can be glued together to create an interesting display for your makeup, jewelry or cookies and cupcakes in the kitchen.
3. Paintings like these by Thyrza Segel can be modified to make them more interesting. They’ll make an great talking piece on your wall.
4. If you’re not artistically inclined enough to modify a painting, try stencils to add your favorite lyrics or movie quote to an ugly thrift store painting.
5. A dining room chair can be reupholstered with a decorative pattern and painted to match it to your home.
6. Frames can be used from anything to organizing makeup and jewelry to becoming a makeshift medicine cabinet.
7. Teacups can be refashioned to make little candles! Just add wax and a wick.
8. Mugs and plates can be decorated with Sharpies when baked in the oven. Make sure to clean them well before drawing with Sharpies.
9. Children’s toy cars can be repurposed as a frame with a little spray paint.
10. A cutting board can easily be modified to be a stand for your iPad or other tablet. Perfect for viewing recipes while keeping the tablet safe and out of the way.
Using these tips will keep you creative and keep your wallet full. Surprising things can be found in thrift stores. What can you find?
What's the best revamp you've ever done of a thrift store find? Show us your handy work!