Posted September 19, 2011 by RentJungle
Saving money on heating costs is an essential for a lot of people. But how exactly do you go about it without freezing in the process? Good Housekeeping has compiled a list of tips to aid you.
Spend much of your time in only one room of your home? Using a space heater there, while keeping the overall house temperature lower, can save you significant cash. In fact, keeping the thermostat at 62 degrees and putting a space heater in one room can save about $200 a year.
Quick Fixes for Fast Savings
Windows and doors can be major causes of heat loss — with faulty windows adding 10 to 25 percent to your heating bill. The GHRI recommends that you:
- Open blinds during the day to let sun in. At dusk, close them to trap heat.
- Hang drapes to help block drafts from where the window meets the frame.
- Inspect weather stripping around exterior doors. Old, cracked, or gone? Replace.
- Improve the seal of interior doors (like the one to the garage) by attaching a sweep. Sold at hardware stores, these flexible plastic strips are easily screwed to door bottoms, and keep cold air out from below.
- Apply both interior and exterior caulking to fill gaps around window frames. If cold air is coming in around the sashes, install appropriate weather stripping.